Sunday, January 18, 2009

Winter Blues

The winter is starting to get to me. It isn't the snow that is a problem, nor is it the blustery wind (though that does seem to cause its own problems). What really gets to me is when the temperature dips below zero. I can handle things in the tens or even the single digits, because then it is at least somewhat decent. The slush is frozen and I can walk on it without getting my shoes soaking wet on Chicago near Michigan Avenue.

This past week we got a huge blast of arctic air and our temperatures plummeted between -2 and -51, depending on the windchill. On Thursday when I woke up it was -20 (not including windchill) and I had to cover all my skin or risk getting frostbite in the five minute walk to the train platform before getting under the heat lamps. You know it is bad when, walking home eight hours later, the temperature rose to -7 (not including windchill) and I think to myself "Oh, it's actually not that cold!" Tim and I have a favorite webcomic that we read everyday called XKCD. This past week we have been between "F**********k" and "Spit goes Clink" on this scale: XKCD comic: Converting to Metric .

I've learned that Tim and I can live with the cold air as long as it isn't windy. Chicago is great because the streets are often built on a grid, going North/South and East/West. This is a good thing when the winds are going one direction, and you are travelling/walking in another. The buildings block out some of the wind and you get this lovely buffer of cold (but not blowy) air. Unfortunately for me, I often seem to be travelling in the same direction as the wind is blowing, so I freeze. The apartment is warm, but not really warm enough for me. Our radiators work, but I can't feel the heat coming from them. It's about 60-65 degrees in our apartment but even then, we have to wear socks and sweatshirts and have blankets on us in order to feel warm enough and comfortable enough to move around without being cold. Our apartment is on the second floor (thank goodness!) because the ground floor has terrible drafts that make my hands turn icy when doing the laundry for more than two minutes.

I think I'm ready for the air to heat up just a little bit. Wind I can deal with, as long as it is above 20 degrees Fahrenheit. It was 14 degrees yesterday and I was really happy, because it was warm enough to snow. It was "not that cold," and I felt totally ridiculous for saying it. Perhaps it will warm up a little soon. If we stay in the high 20s or low 30s, I'll be happy. We will see what happens over the next month or so.

No comments: